GM Foods Assigment on GM Tomatoes- By Humera Z. Ansari

Thursday, February 10, 2011

First day eh & brief intro to genetically modified foods

As I was researching upon GM Foods in Canada, and what topic, I think I might do.
I found this website, which has an interesting video in it. The video is from CBC. It's Canadian yeah!

The video seems to be old, released in 2002. It starts off by showing how in Europe specifically London, England, everything is labelled if its genetically modified or not. (when I lived in England as well, I remember seeing those labels, GO ENGLAND!)

The video gives a good starting point of view on Genetically Modified (GM) Foods in Canada, since when it all began, and how it WAS viewed by the Consumers' Association of Canada (CAC) and Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) claiming that the labelling for GM foods is not mandatory. However, on the other hand, Canadian Health Coalition argue against them.

http://archives.cbc.ca/economy_business/agriculture/topics/1597/ - Check out the video on the website, it's duration is about 9:25 mins.

After, checking out this video, I later went on the website of Consumers' Association of Canada, and found this poll that was done in 2003, asking Canadians about what they felt about GM foods-http://www.consumer.ca/pdfs/2003.12.03-press_conference_slides.pdf


Do the Consumers' Association of Canada really care about what most of the Canadians think?

________________________________________________
Brief introduction on Genetically Modified Foods
I noticed that I'm blabbing on about genetically modified foods in Canada, but haven't told you about what Genetically modified foods are?

It's when different genes from another species or organism is inserted into another organism. Everything is done on a molecular basis of the cell (DNA, RNA etc). This is all done with several biotechnological technologies, also known as the field of Genetic Engineering.

Now, I NEED to pick a topic so that I can extend this project further. I can also then tell you about it's pros and cons, ethical issues, and any misinformation regarding it.

Adios for now,

The EnviroGirl





No comments:

Post a Comment